Wednesday, January 2, 2013

13 in '13

Like many people, I don't believe resolutions should be saved up for the new year. I try to improve my life whenever I think it needs improving. In January, I prefer to come up with a to-do list for the year. Things I'd like to do but haven't gotten around to in the past. The list in my head contains many more than 13 things, but for now 13 seems like a manageable number.

1. Run a Marathon
This has been on my list since high school, when I figured it would happen in about ten years. Now those ten years have come and gone and I'm out of excuses. Time to show 15 year old me that I CAN run that far. Maybe not as fast as I could have many years ago, but if Oprah can do it, so can I!

2. Complete a Sprint Distance Triathlon
This was never on my radar until last summer, when at the gym I would run or bike (or both) and then go swim. I'm a little bit afraid of swimming in open water because I've heard sometimes the athletes do dastardly things during the swim portion, like kick your face or drag you back. I just want to have fun.

3. Give Up Meat for at Least a Month
This is another one a long time in the making. I'm not a big fan of meat. I generally don't like the taste or texture and I'm always worried I will undercook it and poison everybody. A few years ago I gave up meat for Lent but it only lasted a few weeks because I wasn't eating properly and ended up feeling really tired all the time. Now I know more about nutrition, we're signed up with a CSA, and I think it will be possible.

4. Grow Some Veggies or Herbs
This is another thing I've wanted to do for several years. I don't know anything about gardening, or when to plant what, so it should be interesting!

5. Compost
This seems to tie in with growing my own food. Time to give it a try!

6. Perform in a Play
It has been 6 years since I've been in a play. I would really like to be in another one.

7. Sing in Public
I always chicken out. Time to be brave.

8. Go Somewhere I've Never Been
I've become very comfortable in visiting my favorite spots-- San Diego, Monterey, San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Tahoe. Time to go somewhere new, and hopefully outside of California.

9. Help Others
I feel fortunate to be independent. Not everyone is that lucky. I would love to be able to help others who are less fortunate than I am, in some way other than donating things to Goodwill.

10. Simplify
Life gets too cluttered with things. I want to simplify life by getting rid of things and streamlining the things that stay.

11. Make an Item of Clothing
Over the summer I made an apron. It came out ok. Time to tackle something more useful, like a skirt.

12. Go to Church More Often
Some people think church is boring, but I like to go for the feeling of unity and love. I also love to sing in church, and our priest has a really cheesy sense of humor.

13. Work toward my financial goals
One of the things that seems to come with adulthood is debt. I would love to get rid of a lot of it this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment